· Research new manufacturing technologies and materials that have come about since the original design. (Done)
· Connect to the current Auto Mag owners to find those that are passionate and knowledgeable. (ongoing)
· Engage the community into guiding us as to what issues, features, and options should be addressed in the new Auto Mag. Also, get referrals to others that would be interested in being involved. Drastically cut prices for original parts and create a spare parts replacement kit at a reasonable price that should include the most likely parts that will fail on the original Auto Mag. (ongoing)
· Focus on anything that will keep the look and feel of the original but improve the safety, reliability, and functionality of the Auto Mag
· Produce tooling for an improved stainless steel magazine. We have now done a a test run and are tweaking the dies) update Should have the first test sample in December 2016. Many delays but should be in production in Febuary 2017.
· Make a small number of prototype uppers. (Completed bolts, all small parts expect firing pins & springs, barrels should be complete by March 1st) Done- now producing second prototype with improvements found by making the first. This should be done in October and be 25 pieces. Completed and tested 8 version worked reliably but we continuied to make improvements The current version for was competed and test in December 2016.
· Test these new uppers until they prove out the change or redesign what fails and retest.(testing started) Second round to start in October. Multiple test in October and November 2016 with changes made to the manufacturing line. December the gun fired flawlessly. Completed January 16th start endurance testing.
· Once we have a good upper then offer them to the existing community with a discount/credit for early sign-up.(started) Completed November 2nd 2016. We delayed the manufacture due to changing the type of stainless from 416 to 410. We found that the original 416 stainless had sulphide streamers which caused a potential for cracking around the chamber next to the accelarator.
· Complete the five hundred plus remaining frame castings that we have and offer complete guns with the new uppers and original lowers. (We may or may not use the existing frame castings) Update September 22, 2016 We are building 30 frames so we can test the second run of new uppers. Update November 30th 2016. Many of the casting are out of spec so we my use the good ones in special cases but the production model will be milled. We started the process on making a milled lower in November. Started building a drill fixture for the original frames in January. We are relooking into using a cast frame.
Purchased a Milltronics CNC Tool Maker lathe and mill for making prototype parts.
· Start to work on the newly designed lower (still in testing and possible design changes)
· Put it through the same process as the upper.
· When this process is complete we plan on having an event which will include dinner and presentation the night before at a hotel near Columbia, SC. The next day, all will be taken to a range for test firing. This review will be for the media and key people in the Auto Mag world.
· Offer to sell to those that participated the first guns available, and give those that signed up and gave feedback or referrals to build the community discounts for up to two items. This will only be available for those that got involved before the first prototypes are complete.
We have developed an ambidextrous safety, several improvements for the magazine, improved bolt, barrel latch, quick removable/replaceable front sight, improved cocking piece, and a .22 conversion. all of these will be put into production after the gun. We have switched materials from 416 stainless to 410 stainless. We ordered a special mill run of 410 ballistic certified stainless in January 2017.